Friday, May 27, 2011

My High Maintenance Dream Come True

There is a bottle of ketchup, a snot sucker and piles of soaked tissues beside the bed.  Two fans going full blast, and it feels like an inferno in here if you can imagine that in Alaska.  I don't mind that my feet are summer dirty because the sheets are already crunchy with milky puke spots.  I feel like my life is an explosion right now. 

Ian is experiencing his first full-blown illness.  Seven months and not a sniffle or hint of fever, and right now he's got it coming from every orifice.  The peds say it's just a cold maybe combined with a stomach virus.  I guess mom's milk isn't entirely invincible.  I've been everywhere these last few days...from heart breaking for my pitiful little guy to sheer frustration that my magic boobs can't just get him to go to sleep.  We take it for granted that little ones don't know how to blow their noses, and they don't understand that the evil snot sucker is trying to help them breathe.  They just don't understand why they feel so miserable and no one can make it better.  It must be hard...

But I get it.  This is mothering.  There is absolutely nothing glamorous about it.  I've been covered in more puke the last four days than a weekend warrior on spring break.  And the thing is... life just smacks you whenever.  I just got a new job.  For my life in this moment, it's really a dream job.  Even though it will be the worst pay I'll have yet to receive in Alaska, I am more excited about this job than any I've ever had.  My official title is Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, which sounds slightly summer campish.  I got all dressed up to interview for a job that I get to do in my puke-covered pajamas.  As this counselor, I get to work at home calling new moms and providing basic breastfeeding support.  Nothing could be more perfect for me right now.  I don't want to leave Ian, but I can finally contribute a little to the family income.  And it is by far the most meaningful work I've ever done.  Not slingin' any coffee for tourists this summer.... No sir!

Even though this week has been an emotional rollercoaster, I am ever abundantly grateful for the shining sun.  Our mini garden is in:  herbs, lettuce, tomatoes and peppers.  I've been hitting my feet to pavement and sweating a little.  Manuel's grades are talleyed, and it's looking like the grand finale of school after many many moons.  And the best of all, I'm actually going to be oceanside in late July.  My little love might be under the weather but this summer might just be one for the books. 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Big Al,

    Love reading your blog in my clean daycampshirt you gave me in 1999.
    Keep up the writing.
    x neele

    ReplyDelete